Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Fasting for the New Year!

Fasting is a spiritual discipline that is commonly used to help us abstain from temporary desires and focus on God.  I used it as a student at Fredonia most Saturdays during lunch to spend that extended time with God.  Now, I've chosen to start the New Year off with a 10 day fast after completing some shorter ones this year.  I believe that by giving Him the first days of the year, He'll honor that sacrifice.  
  • The Goals: 
    • Align myself closer to God and His Mission on campus and in my life
    • Pray deeply in more extended lengths
      • for personal needs (specifically my funding as IV staff, but choose your own) 
      • for campus (that we would reach more students with God's love, especially artists)
      • for the world (in light of the tragedies that have happened in 2017)
  • The Plan
    • Prayerfully choose what to fast for and for how long 
      • Please be safe fasting, especially if it's your first one.  Read 
      • Food, electronics, 1 day, 1 meal a day, 3 days, 10 days... all can be options
    • Invite others to join you in fasting so there's solidarity in seeking God together. 
    • Post on the IV Facebook group your stories (joys, insights or struggles) of fasting
  • Results
If you're interested, please let me know by messaging Kathryn and I look forward to seeking God together with you as we start the new year with our choices aligned to what He wants.  


No comments:

Post a Comment